1.26.2012

3 Miles of Shame


I put my running shoe where my mouth was... over 3 miles. Last week, I was sharing in general twitter chatter with a friend and fellow FitFluential Ambassador, @NYCrunningmama, about the upcoming NFC Championship game — 49ers vs. Giants. My being in the Bay Area and her being in New York, it seemed only fitting that a friendly running wager should take place.

The rules were simple, pick a team to root for and the loser runs the amount their team lost by in miles. Lose by 7, run 7. We capped it at 20 miles incase a blowout took place and invited fellow bloggers and twitter folk to join in on the fun. By the end of the weekend, we had 30+ people choosing a side and ready to risk the run of shame if their team lost.

Sadly, the 49ers fumbled away their chance, literally, at a Super Bowl appearance and lost by 3 points. Honestly, when the Giants had the ball so close to the end zone in overtime, I was rooting for a field goal rather than a touchdown, knowing the loss was inevitable.


So, I strapped on my Asics and logged 3 shameful miles. Typically a 3 mile run is routine, but I felt like everyone was looking at me thinking: "There goes that runner that made a running bet on the 49ers." Although this might not have been the case, with my head held high and rocking a red shirt, I ran my 3 miles and did so at a clip that would make Joe Montana proud.

Update:
@NYCrunningmama is holding a SuperBowl challenge following the same rules. This time she is squaring off against @runcupcake and her Patriots. Feel free to join in on the fun here. I'm rooting for the Giants and will be using the hashtag #MakeBradyCry



9 comments:

Colorado Gal said...

Love that you guys did this! I saw all the posts about it but I was out of town so I didn't even watch the games. Way to hold up your end of the bargain!

{will run for margaritas} said...

This is such a fun & cool idea - I love it! I like the 20 mile cap :) I might need to join for superbowl!

Michele @nycrunningmama said...

I'm doing a 2nd run tonight (3 miler) in support of the 49ers and what a fabulous game it was. Couldn't have asked for a more exciting NFC Championship Game (I just hate seeing a team win b/c of a mistake -> fumble).
Great post - thanks for the great idea - glad we were able to do some friendly trash talking =)

Laima said...

How fun - great way to balance time on the couch:)

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh what a fun idea!! I like little challenges like this to get folks all kinds of pumped up

also agree with capping it! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers said...

Awwww... Haha. That's clever.

Whitney @LiveRunLoveYoga said...

I tagged you in the 11 things blog tag! You are up next to share 11 things about yourself! I can't wait to learn more! http://liverunloveyoga.com/2012/02/10/a-day-of-elevens-2/

Ara said...

What a cool idea. Next time, I'm gonna do this.

Unknown said...

adasd