6.29.2011

Racing Again... with cows


I can't believe that we are half way through 2011 and have only done one race. At this point last year, I had already ran 3 marathons, 2 50k's and participated in a 199-mile relay... and that was in the first 6 months of 2010.

This year has been very different. I've been running consistently, but not training to reach peak performance for any goal in particular. I have been debating what my next race would be after the Oakland Half Marathon in March. I was eyeing a night race in Davis in Mid-July and hesitated signing up for it. Well, it's done. Consider me an official entrant.


The Change of Pace Moo-nlight Half Marathon starts in Davis, Ca at 7pm and will be a new experience for me and several friends running it as well. We've run at night during the relay... and by at night, I mean at 1 in the morning with a headlamp on the side of a hill. So I'm hoping that this partially lit course at 8:30 pm should be manageable. 



It's also part of the Nor Cal Half Series. If you complete 4 races of the series (and the last is Walnut Creek), you earn an extra medal. And I'm all about the medals.

The good thing is that having this race on my radar has helped me focus more on training. I may have waited until 2 weeks before to register, but having a date and distance to focus on has really helped me get the gears rolling again. 

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine a nighttime half. Can't wait to hear your experiences.

Fruit Fly said...

My thought is ... this sounds AWESOME!

I've only done one nighttime race so far, but it was just a 5K at midnight on New Year's. The only other Half I've heard of was Disney's Wine & Dine ... but now I see there are more. I should start looking around. I hope you have a blast!