1.23.2009

30 Days, No Starbucks


For the month of January, I gave up Starbucks. I know, sounds ridiculous right? The idea was to cut an extra 600 calories a week from my diet. I usually have Starbucks three times a week at around 200 calories each along with spending an average of $3.50 each time depending on the size.

After 30 days, I will have cut out (ballpark figure) 2400 calories and saved a little over $40. With that being said, some of those 2400 calories may have been replaced with calories from orange juice in the morning, so it's not like I was doing it solely for dietary reasons. Honestly, I don't really know why I chose coffee specifically to give up for 30 days, it was sort of an idea that crossed my head and I ran with it (pun totally intended).

As a new years resolution, I decided to give up one thing a month, rather than one thing for the whole year. I figured like everyone else, my resolution should last until March, but if not, let's see how far I can take it. I'd like each of them to fall around dietary themes... perhaps no ice cream in February? After-all it is a short month.

Needless to say, I am really excited for next Sunday. With my first race of the year on Super Bowl Sunday, it will be followed with a nice double tall non-fat white chocolate mocha. Sounds so delicious. The thought that will be running through my head during the race is: "If I run faster, I can have Starbucks sooner." And yes, sooner is a word, ask the University of Oklahoma.

If you'd like to tell me how crazy I am or offer some words of encouragement, feel free to do so in the comments section. Also share with us what your New Year's Resolution is and it's currentstatus.

1 comment:

Brianna said...

$40 saved is good in my book! What's the plan for Feb?

I'm not a resolution gal, I'm more of a goal-setter. My approach to this year is to finish up projects I started in previous years but never finished. So far I've knocked one out of the way. Not too shabby.

Your one month at a time approach is a good one. It makes committments manageable and goals attainable with minimal frustration. I like that in a committment (did I spell that right?).