5.21.2009

Hit the Road Jack 10k


It's official. I am addicted to speed (relatively speaking). I just signed up to participate in my second ever 10k. It is the Hit The Road Jack 10k in Santa Rosa and is taking place on June 7th. The Run begins on the north side of the historic Sonoma Plaza. Both the 10K and 2.2 mile are loop courses that wind through the vineyards and the beautiful Sonoma countryside, offering beautiful scenery and views of the Sonoma Valley countryside.


I am in no way considering myself "fast," but I am enjoying picking up my pace in shorter runs. I have found that my body has become too accustomed to cruising at 10 min. miles and if I want to improve on my marathon time, I need to re-focus on my pace. Over the past couple weeks I have been trying to bring my minutes per mile down between 7 and 9 minuter per mile for extended milage. It usually starts with a 9-10 min mile as a warm up, then once I feel "loose," I'll open my stride and speed up. So far it has been a success. 

Below are my recent average paces:
7.7 miles at 9:13 pace
6.0 miles at 8:30 pace
4.7 miles at 9:09 pace

This weekend I have a 10 mile run, so we'll see if I can keep the speed up for that long. I am also looking forward to making my way back to the track for additional speed work. Hope everyone has a fantatsic three-day weekend.

No comments: