6.07.2009

Hit The Road Jack 10k Results


That road has been hit!

Distance:10k (or 6.2 mi.)
Garmin Time: 50:45
Avg. Pace: 8:06
Fastest Mile: 7:31 (mile 6)

It started off as a beautiful morning. I met up with a couple friends; one was running, the other not and we shot the poo before the race. When the race started, I wished my fellow running buddy good luck and he sped off (finishing at his goal of 45:10). The race started in historic downtown Sonoma Plaza and was a loop through neighborhoods and backyard vineyards. It was a beautiful course and tons of trees provided the much needed shade. 

Earlier on Saturday, I took an OVER/UNDER 52 mins. on facebook and the resounding response was go for 49 or 50. There was a moment around 47 mins. where I thought to myself "If I sprint the rest of this, I could hit 49." Unfortunately I didn't have enough gas in the tank. I was already running on pure adrenalin fumes to this point and was in position for the low 50s (which I was more than happy with - consistent 8 min miles is still pretty fast for me at this point in my training). But I picked up my pace and made a go for it running my fastest mile of the race on the final mile. I used every ounce of energy I had on the last mile and left it all out on the course.


Post-Race:
After the race we received our 10k T-shirts, some fresh fruit and since it is wine country, cheese. At the plaza they were preparing for the annual Ox Roast and sauce contest. (Left: Ox Roast. Right: Ox Sauce Contest Trophy) — sadly, I didn't get a chance to try the Ox (or sauces) because soon after the race we all enjoyed brunch at a local hotel. We sat outside and I ordered the burger and had a celebratory beer. The food, atmosphere and company was a great end to a fantastic morning. 


I was more than happy with my time and my speed playlist worked out fabulous. I'm glad I decided to Hit the Road Jack and participate. It was a great judge of how my speed training has been paying off and it is always nice to see the rewards of hard work.

4 comments:

kara said...

I'm always amazed at the runners that speed by me during the last mile...
Maybe we should ask one of them what their training secret is?
Great time BTW - my last 10k time was 55 mins.

Anonymous said...

I see that the play list really worked! Congrats in completing your 10K in less than 50 minutes avg 8 min/mi Way to go...Hit the road jack!

SDrunner said...

Great race report, sounds like you ran a hard race! And the post-race meal looks delicious. Can't wait 'til I do my first 10K, still workin' on 5K's..

Anonymous said...

This is a great race for the first timer! I am 61, just started running in February before the race and was happy to finish and not having to stop the whole 6.2 miles. The terrain(except) for one hill near the winery) was flat. And the last mile or so after the hill was practically downhill the whole way! Go for it!