10.05.2009

An Easy 10 with Annie Shannon Burke

Let's start Monday off with an excellent runner among us... She has Chicago coming up this weekend, so let's all wish her luck...


Name: Annie Shannon Burke
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Race History: 
Full Marathons:
Palm Beach Marathon, ING Georgia Marathon, Chicago Marathon (Boston qualifier) this weekend
Half Marathons: (I know I am forgetting a couple here)
Miami Tropical 3X's, Palm Beach Marathon, 2X's, Boca Pal Marathon (PR: 1:50), Ft Lauderdale A1A Marathon, Disney Marathon (half)
Several local races, approx 18 in the last year alone.
Long Island 5K - 3rd place, Fit2Run 4 miler, 2nd Place

I started running... in 1985 to lose weight so I could qualify for the police academy. I weighed nearly 180 lbs at 5'2" and I did not pass the height to weight requirement. I changed my diet to vegetarian (which I still practice today) and worked to running 5 miles per day. I lost 60 pounds in approx 6 months, qualified for the police academy and performed at the top of my class.

Since then, I have run off an on sporadically over the course of 24 years. In early 1998, I endured some traumatic experiences in my life and returned to the sport I loved that never failed me: running! I began to seriously run again in May 2008. I decided I wanted to run a full marathon and joined the Palm Beach Roadrunners, a running group located centrally in West Palm Beach. I met some amazing runners who carried me through the tough times - when I dropped down to 88 pounds from the stress and anxiety brought upon be professionally and personally. They were there for me. I have since gained back 15 pounds and feel great!

Months later, I took second place in the Fit2Run 4 Miler (in mid August in West Palm Beach) with PR of 31:15. I was so excited that I jumped into every local race I could find, including the Boca Pal Half Marathon. My time was around 1:51, but I knew I could improve, and I did. Since then, I have had an incredible running year!

When I'm not running... I am currently running approx 45 - 50 miles per week, which leaves me little time for recreation.

When I do find time, I enjoy spending time with my girlfriend Sarah  (pictured below), my grandson James (yes, I had a grandson and another on the way!), resting, and reading on average one book per week. Oh, yeah - I also work ;)

Next year I plan to go back to school to complete a PhD in Business Administration.

Currently, Sarah and I thoroughly enjoy wine tasting events and food shows, whenever we can find them locally.


One time when I was on a long run... Where do I begin? I have the strangest running adventures !!!!!

Most recently, on a short 6 miler, I chose to run a path that lined the roadway for about a mile. A guy in his 20's driving a black pickup truck in the opposite direction, turned his head to look at me (several times), drove off the road, over the concrete median, into a tree. We were both stunned for a moment. As I ran over to check on him, he backed from the tree and sped away, appropriately embarrassed, I hope.

A few months back I was running and texting (always a bad idea) and ran straight into a concrete light pole. That was classy as well.

I choose to run without... Because it is hell fire hot in South Florida most of the year, I usually run wearing just a sports bra and shorts. So, I choose to run without regard for what others think as many drive by and yell out the window or lean on their car horns. I listen to my music or an audio book, especially on the 2 to 3 hour long runs, and I disappear into my own world. Running for me in sanctimonious and the only thing I do for me and only me.

The question I am asked most about running is... I am asked this question on a daily basis over Facebook and locally: "How do I get started" or "How can you run for 3 hours?"

The answer to both questions is slowly, with dedication and patience.

After an event or tough run, I... ALWAYS fuel properly. Post run fueling is the key to recovery and running success. I will consume a protein drink, usually no more than 20 grams of whey protein, hydrate and eat a quality meal with carbohydrates. So important..........

Running is... my sanctity, cathartic in every way.

When I'm on the road... I ALWAYS take my running shoes, several changes of running clothes, my iPod, a couple tubes of Glide and a course in my head :)

I wish other runners would... There are two behaviors that really tend to irritate me every race I run: #1 is screamers. I LOVE that people are excited to run. Holla! Okay, now get over it, get serious and don't stop to SCREAM at people you know along the way, over other runners. This also applies to the runners (usually women) who run in packs and for some reason need to yell their conversation back and forth - usually about make-up and how their running shorts tend to "ride-up." We all don't need to hear this, people!

#2 is people who SPIT! This is usually men, I must admit. I have been spat on so many times I've lost count. I understand that when you are running and working hard fluid tends to come out of everywhere, usually undesirably. But, if you MUST expel it, do it by the curb or at least look around you!!! Yuk!


If I could run 3-miles with someone famous, it would be... Kara Goucher (left) or Lolo Jones (right)

* * * * * *
Thank you Annie. Good Luck this weekend in Chicago... in honor of the windy city, may your feet be as light as air. 

If you'd like to be a part of "An Easy 10 with..." please email me at pavementrunner@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good Luck in Chicago!

Unknown said...

Amazing story. I'm proud of you! Have fun in Chicago!!!