10.14.2009

An Easy 10 with Brandi Rubio

Fresh off a PR last weekend at the Chicago Marathon, I would like to introduce Brandi Rubio.


Name: Brandi Rubio
Location: San Antonio, TX
Race History: 10k: hmmmm... I don't know if I've ever completed an official 10k but I've done a few 5Ks
Marathon Relays: Corpus Christi 2006 and 2007
Half Marathon: 6 (PR 1:44:13) Austin, Houston, Helotes (2), San Antonio, Carraba's
Full Marathon: 7 (PR 3:35:15) Blackhorse Marathon, Austin (2), Boston, SA Rock n' Roll, Houston, Ft Collins Colorado and Chicago. I'm registered for SA Rock n' Roll in November, and then Houston again in January and that will make 10!!!!
Triathlon: It's on my life list
Ultra marathon: I want to do a 50 miler someday but nothing more than that... ugh!
 
I started running... in high school. I fell in love with Cross Country and just found my "chi" running... It was and still is my way of feeling good about myself. I've always struggled with self esteem issues and running gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment and gives my sweet tooth a justification... Running makes me feel thin.
 
When I'm not running, I... am playing around with my 6 year old daughter Angelina, working at a fitness center teaching cycling, step aerobics, kickboxing, or strength training, hanging out with good friends, or painting. Oh and I also think about running when I'm not running too...

 
One time when I was on a long run... I really had to go to the bathroom... So I squatted behind some trees... I was so scared someone would see me... but I was all by myself. A friend of mine told me that I wasn't a "true runner" until I went to the bathroom outside... I pulled up my pants and felt victorious, I wanted to yell out: "I AM A RUNNER"!!!!!

I choose to run without... a buddy. Well, most of the time. I like to run alone. Maybe it's because I'm selfish or maybe it's because I don't get a lot of "me" time.. but it's nice being just me and I'm usually just competing against myself anyways. I want to be better, faster, stronger.. And it's also nice to not have to run someone else's pace... I get to run mine.
 
The question I am asked most about running is... Why do you do that to yourself? People tell me that I'm going to be crippled when I'm 50 if I keep running... and I say well at least I'll be crippled and fit and hot too!!! You never know what will happen. Why should I let fear of hurting myself keep me from doing something I love. I could also become crippled by driving my car or walking down the street. You never know... but Running is how I live.

After an event or tough run, I... get really sleepy... I need to take a long nap. and most of the time I'm sick to my stomach... it sure is lovely.
 
Running is... one of my best friends...Challenges me, supports me, makes me a better person, and is always there when I need him or her.

When I'm on the road... I daydream.
 
I wish other runners would... get in their right pace corral at the start of the race... It's those darn people who are so anxious to get started with the wrong pace group and then they start walking right in front of you and then you almost trip and then so does the person behind you... and it makes me wanna scream!!!


If I could run 3-miles with someone famous, it would be...Deena Kastor, cuz Damn she's fast and if I could keep up with her for 3 miles than damn I would be fast too!!!!

* * * * * *
Thank you Brandi. Great job last weekend in Chicago and congrats on the new PR. Recover strong.

If you'd like to be a part of "An Easy 10 with..." please email me at pavementrunner@gmail.com.

No comments: