4.24.2009

The Invisible Man IV: A New Hope


The Invisible Man is making his fourth appearance for my fourth full marathon. To mix things up a little bit, I uploaded a black and white photograph. Perhaps an homage to the greats of the past and legends of today such as Bart Yasso (Runner's World) who is noted for saying: "If we were told that we could run only one marathon in our lifetime, Big Sur would have to be it." BAM. There it is. If that doesn't get you hyped up to run an event... then I don't know what will. Hopefully, I will be able to take a moment during the race and realize what I am doing and where I am doing it. But I have a feeling I am going to be so obsessed with my time...

NERD ALERT: The original 1977 Star Wars movie was titled STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE

Will my full marathon episode IV be filled with new hope? (there is a sentence in there somewhere, but I think you catch my drift).

Back to reality: above is the invisible man. From top to bottom, left to right:

Nike Long sleeve Running Shirt (navy blue)
Champion Running Shorts (black)
Asics Running Socks (black)
Asics Kayano 14 Shoes (white/blue)
iPod Shuffle (orange)
Running Belt (red) with Water Bottle and Gu (chocolate)
Sport Shield (similar to Glide, to avoid chafing)
Garmin 305 Running Watch
Iron Man Timex Watch (to keep my run:walk ratio)
Blue Striped shirt (to keep my upper body warm pre-race)
Black and Red striped pants (to keep my lower body warm pre-race)

So as you may have noticed (or not) this will be the first time I have clothes to keep me warm pre-race. I normally don't carry anything or if I plan on running with 2 layers, will discard with a friend along the way. Since Big Sur is run along Highway 1 with no spectators, this is not an option. So I have elected to be one of those people that sheds their clothes when the race begins. I normally would just agree to be cold waiting for the start, but since we must be bussed to the start line and will be waiting over 2 hours to start, this is also not ideal. How to solve it: I went to Old Navy today and bought a hideous Blue striped long-sleeve shirt for $5 and went to Ross and picked up a pair of $4 jogging pants. Fashion sense aside, I think it will do the trick. I will never see these clothes again and they will be donated to charity by the event.

Well, this will be the last post until after number 4... I will definitely be updating my status throughout the weekend on Facebook. I have the Expo Saturday (where I look forward to meeting Bart Yasso again) and the race Sunday. Oh ya, Dean Karnazes will also be there... maybe he can give me some of his good mojo.

Thank you for all the well wishes and support. See you soon.

No comments: